Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good News at the Cardiologist

(This is a long story so if you want the short version, skip down to the "diagnosis")

Last Tuesday Afton had her 4-month check-up and while listening to her heart, the Doctor found she had a heart murmur. So he set us up with a cardiologist. Originally the appointment wasn't for another two months, a couple of days after her 6-month appointment, but I got a call the next day from the cardiologist and they scheduled an appointment for today. 

Well, we went there and they put about 15 little sticky tabs all over her chest and then hooked some wires up to each one. Afton LOVED to grab the wires and pull at them. That was the one time she didn't want to sit still. It was actually pretty funny cause she was having a blast. Then the Cardiologist came in and she was Amazing. I loved her. She talked to Afton the whole time and Afton was completely entranced by her and held perfectly still and smiled and cooed at her.
 
Then she had to go get a sonogram of her heart, which she was pretty good for but got a little annoyed at the end cause it took about 10 min. and she couldn't move. 

Diagnosis

The Doctor said that she has a small hole (about 2mm) in the receiving chambers of her heart ( I know that doesn't sound like good news but it is). She said that if it were bigger than 5mm then it would be a problem, but it's not. There are no symptoms or complications that come with this and it will heal by itself in 5-6 years. She said it's not all that uncommon in babies that have had problems at birth or before birth. 

So we have nothing to worry about and she is a healthy little girl. And here's another picture just cause. 

8 comments:

Elaine Brown Billings said...

I knew she was perfect in every way!! Such an adorable picture.

Jamilyn said...

I'm glad everything is fine! Yay for that!

Amanda Miller said...

Glad to hear that everything is fine. Always makes you a little (lot) stressed when there might be something wrong. Wish I was coming this weekend to visit!

Brandi said...

Oh goodness. What a scare at first. I'm so grateful that everything was okay. She's adorable as usual!

Natchel said...

Oh gosh... I was so nervous reading that post! I finally calmed down at the end! I'm so glad everything is alright!

annette said...

It's good to know that everything is fine. She is so precious.

wendy said...

I'm glad she is fine. She is getting so big so fast. How fun is her hair going to be in a few months, little pigtails and bows. Post lots of pictures.

Murlene Brown Watkins said...

I am so behind the times! I just barely read about the heart issue. That was scary. I'm glad everything is fine. Love the photos. Murlene