Thursday, September 17, 2009

Who is Bev Bos?

Warning: Contents may be boring to those who don't care.



But....Oh I can' t tell you how glad I am you asked that question! You might be sorry you did, but I'm glad. And I'm not going to say: "I can't believe you don't know who Bev Bos is!!!!!!!!" cause a) I hate that, and b) I didn't really know exactly who she was until this semester. We had talked about her before, but now I really know who she is, and I love her.

She is my hero, she is my idol. 


I want to move to California just so I can send my kids to her preschool. I would even commute from Utah! (okay, that's a little extreme)

Bev Bos is a Preschool genius. She has her own preschool near Sacramento and there is actually a waiting list to get in. You have to sign up when your baby is born in order to get in. It isn't hoity toity, and it isn't even expensive. The price is actually very reasonable for 3 reasons:

1. She does workshops for adults that cost quite a bit of $$$ (someday I hope to go to one)
2. There are lots of donations going into there all the time.  and
3. She wants the kids to be able to interact with kids of all different ethnicities, cultures and socioeconomic status. 

Which brings me to my favorite part...Why Bev Bos is so amazing. 

In her preschool, kids can do things parents won't let them do. A few of my favorite examples:

My teachers nephew went to this preschool and every day (during the warmer months) he would go outside, take off all his clothes, except his undies, and just play in the mud. And they let him. They wanted him to. Because he was comfortable, and when kids are comfortable, they learn. And he did learn

One day out of the year, Bev brings in two giant boxes of toilet paper, strings them up on a PVC pipe and lets the kids unroll them. Then she leaves the pile of TP there so the next day, the kids can just play in the mound. 

Another day out of the year, Bev clears out her classroom and brings a dump truck full of sand and dumps it all into the classroom. For three days, the entire classroom is a sandbox. 


So this all sounds like a waste of time right? That all the kids are doing is learning how to make a mess? WRONG!! 

Bev Bos understands kids. She knows how they learn and the best way to help them learn. I want to be Bev Bos. This post doesn't do her justice.

I could go on about how kids learn cause it's my favorite topic in the world... but I won't cause probably you know it already and don't want to listen to anymore of my ramblings. 

 I'm just so excited I found something to be so excited about.So thanks for letting me talk your ear off....if anyone is still reading this :) 

5 comments:

Elaine Brown Billings said...

I loved your ramblings. That is so very interesting. She sounds like a way cool pre-school teacher, and the good thing is that she is able to do what she wants to in her classroom.

annette said...

That was very interesting. I want to go to her preschool.

Natchel said...

hahaha I love you! Roseville is very nice. Convince Tys to move there and you could get a job there and I would send Gabe to you for preschool for sure! Playing in the mud sounds fun!

wendy said...

You should open your own pre-school and model it after hers. That would be great, and I bet you would get a waiting list too. I'm glad you found some thing to be so excited about.

coryshay said...

I agree with Wendy...do your own preschool!!!! Jojo wants to play in sand and be a crazy woman in the name of edumacation!! Thanks for answering my question! I think you should go to her workshop.